A pandemic has swept the globe and we are facing new challenges. Covid-19 has changed our way of living as it spreads through respiratory droplets, by direct contact with infected persons, or contaminated objects and surfaces. We have been forced to retreat into our homes in quarantine and isolation, making us to re-think our multifunctional spaces.
Emerge Kumba is looking for conceptual proposals of the ideal home in a post -pandemic world.
We ask you to imagine a family of three, assign each member a profession or role and design the ideal house for their small family unit in the future.
Consider the following;
- What is the configuration and what are the features in the post-pandemic house?
- What is the adequate area for your imagined small family of three?
- How do spaces transform to meet individual needs?
- How does it meet the collective family needs and maximize human interaction?
- With more meals cooked and eaten at home, what does the living space look like?
- How does the home address health and safety especially safe entry and exit into the home?
- How does it address work spaces for each family member, (eg.Quiet corners to take private video calls/do homework or how does it convert to a studio for an imagined artist?)
- What does the need for hygienic, clean, and sterile surfaces mean for the aesthetics and materials of the house?
- Are there opportunities to interact safely with neighbours?
Submissions should include (but not limited to);
- The ideal area of the proposed home (show dimensions) -What is essential for living given potentially adjusting incomes
- Adaptability and Flexibility (how does the space change-from day to night etc.
- Affordability -Durability and Sustainability (in manufacturing, material use, impact on sites and upkeep)
- Cleanliness and Sustainability (providing sanitary services and water collection methods)
- Safety -Sensitivity to the social and cultural makeup of the region -Aesthetics
- The proposal must be illustrated within a context through a site plan.
- The proposed house can connect with other issues that interest the participant.
The site can be of any size or form, chosen by the entrant, but limited to the African context.